Thursday 31 March 2011

Work Experience: Start as you mean to end.

DAY EIGHTEEN:

Today was a continuation if the commission work for the canteen. The task involved drawing out pictures onto the corners of the mount board, such as fruit and veg, meat, cakes and a variety of dishes.

Now that I am coming to the end of my placement with the National I am finding myself doing the same jobs that I completed on my very first day. The black paint was back in full force as I was touching up the metal frames of some light boxes for the production of "London Road". The frames were not intended on being seen, however a miss calculation in the width of some wood meant that that raw edges of the frame would be visible on stage. So they all need to be touched up whist trying not to get paint on the light box, which was easier said then done. As well as this I was also charged with the job of unpacking fake grass and reeds for "Cherry Orchard" removing all the plastic and labels in preparation for them to be sprayed and made into reed beds. A freelance painter/props maker will be coming in to make the reed beds. I was surprised to find out that this was part of the paint frame work as I would have thought the props department would have made them. It just goes to show that being a scenic artist is not all about painting, you also have to be able to do some construction and carving work aswell.

No comments:

Post a Comment