Sunday 3 April 2011

Work Experience: All good things must come to an end.

DAY NINETEEN:

My final day at the National has been relatively quiet, finishing off the commission work for the canteen was the main task of the day. I also had to package up my painting. Having not worked on my painting for the last few days has been really helpful as the break has allowed me time away to reassess my work. When I finished it on Tuesday I was feed up with it and really hated it, as it was a real challenge for me to paint in a style that is so far removed from my own style. It was hard to be so out of my comfort zone.  Having a quiet few days has made the last week a good opportunity to make the most of taking in everything that was going on around me. Through out my time at the National I have been trying as much as possible to be observing and learning from what the other painters are doing.  In this last wee there have been some more freelance painters in working on the floor for "Cherry Orchard" which will be in the Olivier Theatre, so is so large it has had to be painted in two halves. I have found that scenic painting is a completely different way of working compared to painting in a fine art style, as it is all about how the piece looks on the stage, it doesn't have to look good up close just as long as it works overall for the audience. There is also a lot of work put into achieving exactly what the designer wants, it has to be perfect rather than just being along the lines of the design. The designer for "Cherry Orchard" was asked in twice during the week to approve the work being undertaken.

Being at the National has by no means put me off being a scenic painter or working in theatre, it has confirmed for me that this is everything I have ever wanted to do. At no time during the last month have I ever been bored or wanted to leave, I have been challenged, exhausted and always on the go, but never bored. I have loved working in a place where everything happens under one roof, where the project can be seen through from beginning to end. I think being able to see you work finished and on stage is really important as you don't get an idea of how things look or work while they are in pieces in a workshop. Also working along side all the different departments gives you a real sense of working within a community, everyone is out to achieve the same goal. A great production. All the people there have been really supportive of my work and plans for the future. They have always been willing to answer question, give advice and make my time at the National the best it could be. Working at the National has also boosted my own self confidence as I have always doubted myself as a person, and my abilities and aspirations, however the compliments and encouragement I have received from everyone there has given me the courage to believe that I can do this. I really hope that I can be involved in the National once I am fully fledged, as I have already been invited back to see the dress rehearsals for both "Cherry Orchard" and "One Man, Two Guvnors".

No comments:

Post a Comment