Monday 21 March 2011

Work Experience: It's a Horse

DAY TEN:

I started the day by going to the Littleton Theatre to see the set for "Rocket to the Moon" in place. It is impossible to comprehend just how big a set will be when it is in pieces in the Paint Frame, but this set was huge. It was an amazing experience to be able to stand on stage with it. Once the set pieces are in place the scenic artists and members of the set construction department fill in the joins between the flats and secure some of the finishing, like picture rails.

The rest of the day was spent putting the finishing touches on my painting. For me the tail and mane of the horse proved the most difficult to paint. The main body of the piece involved painting with great care and control, whereas the tail was much freer to give the impression of hair. The tail to two attempts to get right as the first time I did not feel confident with what I was doing so instead of looking like hair it looked more like fur. I then redid the tail using much longer fluid brush strokes. once I had the technique I could then use this to paint in the mane as well. To finish the painting I used the spray gun again, masking of certain areas, so that I could repair any imperfections and cover two or three drip marks that had occurred.

An Idea of Scale


Tail First Attempt
Tail Second Attempts

Finished Painting


Finished Paintings

No comments:

Post a Comment