Tuesday 22 March 2011

Work Experience:

DAY ELEVEN:

Having completed my painting of Whistlejacket I am now moving on to do a second piece. I have chosen to do something that is out of my comfort zone and set myself a bit of a challenge. I find it really difficult to paint in an expressive 'free' style, I like to be controlled and precise. Which is why I found painting the tail and mane of the horse such a challenge. The painting I have chosen is one of Degas' "Dancer" drawings. The style is much more expressive and also as it is a pastel drawing it will be interesting to try and emulate that texture and appearance. I am slightly adapting the drawing for my copy as once the drawing is blown up it starts to lose some of the finer detail, and what was a hand has just become a blob. So I am removing two of the background dancers and just keeping the main girl and one other background dancer. The painting will be smaller than Whistlejacket, at only 240cm high and 135cm wide, as there is a lot more detail and texture to paint.


Finished Painting

sense of scale
Degas "Dancer"

No comments:

Post a Comment