Tuesday 8 March 2011

Work Experience - The National Theatre Paint Frame

DAY ONE:

I see a red door and I want it painted black
No colours anymore I want them to turn black
I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes


On arriving at the National Theatre I was taken from the stage door to the Paint Frame studio in the workshop. I was introduced to the scenic painters who vary from full time painters at the National to freelance scenic painters and theatre craftsmen who work for a few months at a time. I then went on a tour round the theatre by Hilary Vernon Smith the head of the department, where she showed me all three theatres ( I was even allowed to go on stage in the Littleton). She also showed me all the workshops including costume and introduced me to the set construction workshop heads and employees. once I had read all the heath and safety information I was then set to work helping the scenic technician painting some underlying structures for the sets black. One of the pieces was made of about five upright pieces of MDF and was very difficult to paint as it lent and wobbled a lot. Being determined not to break anything on my first day I had to be very careful. 

While I am at the National I will also being completing a painting project of my own. I have chosen to do a copy of George Stubbs "whistlejacket" which is situated in the National Portrait Gallery. I decided upon this painting because when I first saw it spoke to me more than any other painting that was in the room, the horse just seemed to jump out of the canvas at you and capture you. I really hope that I can do this painting Justice. 

Whistlejacket - George Stubbs

No comments:

Post a Comment