Friday 14 January 2011

Model Temple

Once I had cast the resin columns I then need to refine the finished pieces by sanding down any imperfection and removing any of the residue created through the casting process. Due to the nature of sculpey being soft and pliable the original column was not perfectly flat and level on the back, which would look untidy and botched on the finished item. To rectify this I used a small amount of sculpey to block in the sides and create a straight edge. I was concerned about putting resin in the oven, as I could not be sure what would happen, so I used my hairdryer on a warm setting to harden the sculpey.

Resin Column Before

Resin Column After
 The Temple base was cut out of foam board, because it would be holding all four resin column and further foam board detailing I used mount board to strengthen it. This was achieved by cutting out 1cm wide lengths of mount board and gluing them on their side to the back of the board in a grid formation.
Mount Board Supports

I used a mix of foam board and mount board to create layered architrave and mouldings for the temple. I cut strips of board and layered them on top of each other, I angled some of the edges whilst leaving others square. I used a strong PVA based glue to attach the columns to the base board. While making the model I added another 2cm to the height of the Temple as I found it looked disproportionate to the size of the columns. Because the temple is at the back of the stage the extra 2cm did not affect the overall look of the set or become lost in the flight area.

Fully Constructed Temple

2 comments:

  1. hi sarah,
    great tutorial. im currently making a model castle using foam board, and was wondering if you had any tips for making the columns themselves from foam board.im finding it very hard to create curved objects, like columns, pillars, church steeples etc. using the foam board, but it is the only material we are permitted to use for the assignment. any help or websites you know would be greatly appreciated.
    looking forward to your reply,
    michael lee. dublin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi

    i hope this doesn't come too late. One way to curve foam board would be to make score lines down one side of the board using a scaple making sure to only cut through one layer of card this should make it a little more flexible. Or you could again score down the back and remove some strips of card and foam from one side. If you can I would use thin card and just make a cirular structure for it to stick to. Otherwise your best bet is to do some google-ing

    ReplyDelete