Thursday 13 January 2011

Columns

 The columns were made of Super Sculpey on a base of foam board, card and dowel. I used a mix of board and card to create an initial frame work which the sculpey could then be worked into. To create the detail on the capital I used a cake making leaf cutter to cut out a basic shape that could then be applied and moulded to form the foliage decoration that is present on a Corinthian column. As I was unable to purchase 22mm diameter dowel I used 18 mm which meant that I could apply a layer of sculpey that could then be moulded to create the fluting detailing on the shaft of the column. The basic fluting detail is not quite accurate due to the 1:25 scale which made parts of the model too minute to mould. However, on an 1:1 scale it would be easier to produce the finer details. Through the paint work I am hope to suggest more of detail. I only made half a column as they will be placed on the temple at the Back of the stage, so did not need to be a whole column.
Column
Column Profile
Column Back

 Once I had made one column I made a mould using silicone rubber. The first mould was unsuccessful as I did not have enough rubber to cover the whole column. Despite being an initial disaster this turned out to be an helpful experience, as the detail on the capital was too complicated to mould properly.

Original Capital Detail

Revised Capital Detail

Finished Column
 When I baked the sculpey the foam board the foam shrank and caused some cracks to appear in the base of the column. I used super glue to repair the damage before I remoulded the column.

Mould Preparation

Silicone Mould
 Once the mould had cured I then cast four columns in resin. I also used the resin the further repair any damages an imperfections.
Resin Columns

No comments:

Post a Comment