Sunday, 8 May 2011

Technical Drawings:

When measuring the window I put all the dimensions straight onto Auto CAD to try and avoid any mistakes occurring when transferring the data. Putting it straight into CAD also made it easier to spot any mistakes or errors in the measurements and allowed me to correct any mistakes as I went along. To measure the window I had to come over some height difficulties as the window is above the door to the church, so heath and safety was also a large consideration. I just  worked across the window methodically using mid point and known lengths to help calculate the other measurments, such as the gradient of the curve. Once I had all the measurements I took 5mm off each side, 1cm in total across the width and the height, so that when the frame is made it will defiantly fit in the space.

Measurements 1:1

Measurements 1:25

The frame is made out of 3x2 CLS timber which is stronger than a standard 2x4, as it is sturdier less cross supports are needed. This also keeps the overall cost down as the timber is £1.08 per meter. The whole frame is made up out of 8 individual frames, 2 make up each side panel and 4 make the large centre piece at a total of approximately 45metres of timber. I found making the basic frames simple enough to construct as they are very similar to a simple canvas frame and the flats we made during the set build in the first year. The main part I struggled with was constructing the curve as it is made out of 3 sections on each frame which all need to be cut and angled to exactly the right size as each piece is cut at a different angle.  I found that I just had to take my time a check very carefully before cutting, as it is better to cut something too big and trim it down rather than cutting it completely wrong in the first place. To screw the frame together some of the screws around the curve had to go in at an angle, which also created some problems as I was having trouble making them go all the way in and lie flush with the timber, so I did have to re-screw some parts before getting it right When all the frames had been made I found that one of the large frames for the middle section was not completely square, to rectify this I used some plywood triangles that were glued and then screwed to the corners of the frames to keep them at a right angle. If the frames are not completely square then it will not fit properly into the window. I also had to add another cross bar on the two bottom frames so that the plywood coverings can be nailed to them.

Frame Construction
Added Supports

When I originally started making the frames I was planning on just making some very large canvases with the frame and the canvas attached before I painted it, which could then be placed on the wall. However this means that it would be too heavy and too big to get into the church and attached to the wall in one go, additionally the  frames would also be too big to fit through the doors. To overcome this problem the plywood that will also be covered with a 12oz cotton canvas will be kept separate while they are being painted and then attached to the frames once they are in place in the church. The larger section will be covered in three 4x8 plywood sheets that can be folded in to allow it to be transported easily. To cut the curve of the window I used a strip of plywood to draw out the curve and then used the jigsaw to cut it.

Timber Frame
plywood Flat

No comments:

Post a Comment