Sunday 6 February 2011

African Clothing

This production also includes adult roles, so part of the brief was to design some costumes for African Women. I have begun by doing some research into African clothing as peoples ideas and concepts of African clothing varies from person to person. I have alsready looked into the Afican Gele head piece as a statement item to show that the ladies are African. Another of the main ideas talked about was a simple top and skirt. I have found the for this kind of clothing the internet has not been particularly forth coming with good examples of clothing, luckly my mum has been to Zambia a couple of times so I asked her to send me some pictures of people in traditional dress.






 A side part of the brief was if possible the costumes could be reused in a production of The Crucible which is set in the 17th Century. I found that the African Church Elders outfits below have a Puritain look about them with the large collars and the overall style of the clothing.

Church Elders

No comments:

Post a Comment