Wednesday 27 April 2011

Commission, Community and Collaboration - Church Mural

The second Commission, Community and Collaboration project I am undertaking is producing a mural for Hurstpierpoint Methodist Church in West Sussex. I have been commissioned to produce a piece of work that will fit in the area of the back wall that was once a large window, which has since been filled in. Although the window itself is no longer there, it is only the glass portion that has been removed and covered over so there is still a distinct shape as the window facings still remain. My original plan was to paint directly onto the wall, however this would entail the hiring of scaffolding which would be quite expensive. Also to comply with heath and safety someone would have to supervise me while I was painting. I have since decided to paint onto three canvases that can then sit into the space meaning that they can be produced on the ground and eliminating any need for scaffolding. It also means that if the picture needs to be moved, or the building is re-developed at a later date the picture can be saved.

Space where the mural will be placed
The church has given me free rein to design the painting myself, which is very helpful. I am eager though that the church still has some input and agrees to the final design. I attended the Church Council meeting on 17th February 2011 and presented some design examples of what could be produced and showed them images of other artist and work that I like and will be taking influence from. I also spoke about the budget for the work which as this is my first project of this kind will be something that becomes clearer once the project progresses and I have decided on the materials I will be using. The Church have agreed to fund the project paying for all the materials needed, so I will be keeping a tight budget and a record of all my recipts so that the cost does not become get too extreme.

No comments:

Post a Comment